Monday, September 20, 2010

RETHINKING PROGRAMMING

“We don’t go to church,” she said with guarded confidence, waiting for a judgmental comment or expression from me. I gave her the “so” look as I shrugged my shoulders.

We attended the same small Christian university, worshipped in the same chapel three times a week and sat through the same bible classes. What she said could have been alarming, but I knew exactly how she felt. In fact, I have had this conversation with more of my Jesus-loving friends than I can count.

They are not opposed to the gathering of believers, to the preaching of the gospel or to the cross of Christ. But they are opposed to a church that they can’t bring their unbelieving friends to for fear of Christian clichés. They are opposed to said “community” that doesn’t truly hold people accountable or go deeper than knowing your name. They are opposed to the attempt to maintain the “status quo” of American Christendom by staying within the four walls of a building.

Young Adults today are looking for depth. And the Bible is full of it. In fact, the life of Jesus Christ could not get deeper! So why is that young adults who have grown up in the faith are now finding that their heart’s desire for more meaning is leading them outside of the local church? Why are young adults starting non-profit organizations instead of volunteering to be a youth leader? What is the church missing that they are looking for?

Perhaps the answer is best found in asking them.

“What I WANT (DESPERATELY) is community. REAL community – where we strive to really know each other and really know the Lord, and then take that OUTSIDE of our meeting place and to really know and love the brokenhearted, whoever they are, wherever they are. I want authenticity.” - Elizabeth

“In church, people try to change us. People try to know your name so they can try to help you. They don't care about your story. They care about listening to your story so they can 'make you right'.” - James

“Basically, the church I was a part of for almost six years was there when I didn't necessarily need them to be, and wasn't when I did. During what has since become the darkest time of my life, I turned to many people, and with very few exceptions, was given the usual "I am so sorry to hear that, I/we will be praying." – Josh

“Church in America is by and large inwardly focused (in my experience). Community is encouraged among its members, but not typically with the "outside" world. Everything is built so that people are directed INTO the church, and not out from it.” – Brian

“Another thing I see that would help young adults go to church is if they felt like their community was actually making a difference in the world. When a church is totally based on a gathering and service time, it takes away from the mission that Christ set us on. Leaders who just try to get numbers into a building are on the wrong track, that’s not the mission. If young adults are apart of a community that is on an adventure that is changing the world, they will be proud to be apart of that.” – Josh

“(In Church) there are many that feel alienated, not because they have a deep lack of faith, or spirituality, or belief in God, but because they tend to look at the people of the church, and see a community, yes, but a community of smiley, well-dressed and polite people, who seem to have the mysteries of life figured out, who seem to have been invited and welcomed into something that they themselves might have to break or fake into. We don't look like a people desperate for our Savior, like a broken people who are still in need, like a band of brothers and sisters who are determined to "suffer with Him that we may also be glorified together," or like a people who are striving to store up for ourselves treasure in heaven, and not here on Earth.” – Trevor

This generation’s passion to see true transformation in the world cannot be overstated. But the gap between church as we know it and their dreams and visions for the future is wider than perhaps we would like to admit. We would do well to embrace their discontentments, look at the world through their eyes and shape the structures of the church around what they see. The beauty of the gospel is that it is for all people, of all nations for all times. Our difficult and exciting task is to seek the appropriate methodologies to serve up this gospel to this generation, that the power of Christ might be released to transform lives, cities and nations.

Lindsay Fosner of Seattle, WA

1 comment:

  1. Authentic discipleship means discipleship which takes place in the context of meaningful relationships. Young adults are looking to be in discipling relationships that are characterized by genuine care, interest, and transparency. This includes being given opportunities to serve
    according to their gifts and passions. Young adults are also looking for substantial teaching as one aspect of authentic discipleship, and they consider it very important that they be given room to ask questions and engage in dialogue on important matters of faith.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share a comment, anonymously, if you wish...