Dear Friends,
On my return to Hamilton yesterday I was made aware of some of the comments that have been left on the blog in the last two days. Whilst at home in Southport, on a private family matter, I had not looked in on the blog and therefore had not been in a position to comment until now.
I think we need to look at what the blog is about, what are its aims and objectives. Personally, I see it as being a means of Evangelistic outreach and communication to the wider world, enabling Hamilton Corps to reach out beyond our four walls in a significant way and touching the far ends of the earth ... Australia, Egypt, Lebanon, Afghanistan; just some of the places we have had visitors from, and I am reminded of the Scripture that commands us to: 'Go into all the world ... and preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ'. To date visitors have read over 10,000 pages of our blog articles with an average of 70 pages read per day.
As a Corps I think we should be indebted to Sven whom I know spends hours upon hours working on this, writing articles, sharing teaching, searching for appropriate articles that can speak and challenge us as a Corps and others who visit the blog. Ours is one of two that he administers, the other, also SA related, having had 50,000 visitors in the last 25 months.
In the light of what has happened this week I find it necessary for me to set some ground rules for the blog. It is good for us to be able to read such enlightening and challenging articles. I also believe it is good for both us and others to be able to comment. However, I want to stress that we ought to comment on such articles in a way that will encourage, uplift and support. From now on, all anonymous comments left will be deleted. Your name and location needs to be included. If you wish to remain anonymous we will need to have your name on file and your comment can be sent to selmoscow@aol.com It will be published only if it is relevant to the article and not derogatory in any way, and the comment posting will include: ‘name and address on file’.
I have been made aware of some people’s apparent concern of prayer requests having been added to the blog recently. Let me assure you the information that has been shared has been included either at the request or the blessing of the families concerned. Some have even phoned specifically with updates to be added to the blog. No confidentiality has been broken or insensitivity to peoples situations.
It would be good if others would be prepared to write informative, teaching, testimonial, interesting articles that would be of worth to such a wide audience / congregation. Room for comments will remain as an opportunity to share, as we can learn from discussion and as an old advert once said: 'It is good to talk' ... let's leave it that way and make sure no one is damaged or hurt by what are sometimes careless words.
In my mind the Hamilton Corps blog is a blog to be proud of and is leading the way for many others and I pray will help lead many to Christ and the unique ministry of The Salvation Army. May we use it with the thought: 'My uttermost for His highest'
GBY real good!
Glad Ljungholm

Hey Sven, my name is John. I read a lot of blogs on religion and prayer and I've i feel like I've ended up here once before. I'd love to hear your thoughts about this prayer exchange website PrayerMarket.com I thought it was an interesting idea and would be curious to hear what you (or other Christians) think about it
ReplyDeleteI'll check back here in the next day or two, thanks & God bless
John W.
John, I don't recall having met, but thank you for visiting our blog and for sharing your comment.
ReplyDeleteAs an introduction I want to emphasize the importance of prayer to The Salvation Army and to me as a Salvationist. We host a number of web and blog sites with a focus on; the season, individual prayer requests, a prayer chat forums, and intercessory prayer groups. The key sites and those most often visited are:
1. Daily Prayers for (Advent) - The Salvation Army International
2. The Salvation Army 24/7 Prayer Website, "Non Stop Prayer"
3. 24 7 prayer movement in New York, New York City,the Tri-State area, New England, Maine, Boston www.armyonitsknees
4. The Salvation Army: Prayer Wave 2010 A London Division
5. The Salvation Army: Anti Trafficking Day of Prayer
6. The Salvation Army - Discussion Forums - Prayer
7. The Salvation Army: International Day of Prayer for the Victims of ...On Sunday 26 September 2010
Prayer, as you can see, is a major spiritual component of SA theology and this in numerous ways. These include: a belief in a Divine power who lovingly offers an interconnectedness with all of His created being, an awareness of the purpose and meaning of life and the development of personal, absolute values
Our practiced private and communal prayer life foster feelings of hope, strengthen our faith, and for some reduce feelings of depression and anxiety. It also serves to encourage us to share our message of Christ’s love with others.
On another level, as you will have seen from the blog, we believe in divine healing. TSA regulations dictate a fairly rigorous life style. Nonetheless, the benefits of a religious and spiritually designed healthy lifestyle do not guarantee a life free of poor health and debilitating disease, although it certainly reduces the risk factor.
(see next comment)
Prayer.
ReplyDeleteThe act of putting oneself in the presence of or conversing with a higher power has been used as a means of healing across all cultures throughout the ages. And for salvationists prayer is an important part of daily life.
Results from several studies indicate that people with strong religious and spiritual beliefs heal faster from surgery, are less anxious and depressed, have lower blood pressure, and cope better with chronic illnesses such as arthritis, diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and spinal cord injury.
One clinical study at Duke University found that people who attend regular religious services tend to have better immune function.
The site you reference focuses on distant intercessory prayer, distant as in global. I would emphasize in speaking to this subject that there is no scientifically discernable effect for IP as either a theoretical or theological basis for healing. However, Christians have been witnesses to not only healing from all possible incurable or terminal illnesses, but also people pronounced dead, brought back to life. Consequently, many inside the scientific community and out, accept that praying can prove beneficial for a person’s health. On one side are those who believe that things which can’t be proven via the scientific method doesn’t exist. On the other side are those who believe in the power of prayer -- whether science can prove it or not. Salvationists stand together globally accepting Jesus’ promise that prayers are answered.
According to a study at the University of Rochester, up to 85 percent of people suffering from disease pray in addition to receiving medical treatment. “Prayer is the number one complementary medicine for Americans, more than vitamins, herbs or therapeutic exercise “.
For those interested in researching this further I would point you to the1988 studies by the physician Randolph Byrd on the effects of prayer on cardiac patients.
“Byrd gave the first name, diagnosis and condition of an IP patient to different groups of three or four active Christians from several denominations. These groups prayed for their patient daily throughout the patient’s stay, away from the hospital, without meeting the patient. They prayed for a timely, easy recovery and one free from complications.
When the study concluded, Byrd found that there was indeed a significant difference in the quality of recovery among patients who received prayer: They fared better on average than their fellow patients who did not receive prayer. Almost 85 percent of the IP group scored “good” on the rating system used by hospitals to rate a patient’s response to treatment. They were less likely to have a heart attack, need antibiotics or require intervention like ventilation or intubation. By contrast, 73.1 percent of members of the control group scored “good” [source: Byrd].
Finally. With reference to your query, I found the website interesting. However, with a PhD in ethics and MBA in Marketing, the word PRAYERMARKET.com jumped at me like a warning sign. And it appears my perception proved right. Prayer to my mind is offered free to all, believer and non-believer alike. And, with respect, and here’s where I disagree with my Jesuit professors at Fordham University while earning my BSc, prayer need not travel to God via intercessors, although they may certainly share in the experience, but to speak with my God, I need only speak to my inner being, that’s where we commune.
Blessings, sven