The hardest thing for me, and the thing that made me give up, was the realisation that people honestly don't care when officers, or even more so, soldiers, leave. They blame the ones who leave, or they are relieved because the one who left didn't fit their idea of who God should call to the army. Even when they seem superficially to be supporting moves to try to encourage people back, when I scraped the surface, I found they just didn't grasp the pain people were going through, they didn't care.
It took a couple of years of prayer meetings and casual conversation to discover this. In one case we'd got to know each other reasonably well as a group and were meeting weekly for a brief prayer meeting. As happens, eventually, it was suggested we pray for those who have left to come back. I couldn't believe my ears. Over a few weeks of prayer and conversations, those around me were praying 'Lord, for those who have chosen to be hurt by the church', and coming out with comments like 'those for whom the church wasn't perfect enough', and 'those who are looking for the ideal church', and nonsense like that. I was honestly stunned, it was so far from the truth. I simply couldn't believe that these people I'd thought were actually genuine and caring were nothing of the kind. In one case I confronted someone about it, and he apologised, saying he had let his guard down when he was tired - in other words that he had thought this all along, he had just not been saying it.
I know some of those we were praying for (and became one as I left) and they/we had been bullied, discriminated against and rejected by some of the very people sitting there praying for us.
If they had returned, God forbid, they'd have faced it all over again, because the church was failing completely to maintain a safe setting, one which would promote a sense of social wellbeing and inclusivity, it didn't even grasp the concept.
I don't have solutions, I've simply grasped that in order to follow Jesus I have to protect my ministry. I have to do that by making sure I'm in a reasonably healthy and functional mission-orientated setting, where I can get on with serving God without being discriminated against, harassed, bullied or abused. That may mean moving on from time to time. That doesn't mean I'm looking for a perfect church.
If I look back at TSA I'll sink into despair, so I'm looking to Jesus and moving on.'
Eleanor Burne-Jones
Cornwall

Is the problem that UK Corps, and others I guess, are facing that the
ReplyDeleteSalvation Army is becoming too much of a so called Church? Or as John Stott was quoted to have said in a recent sermon; “too settled down!” I doubt that The salvation Army are on the streets anywhere in the world as much as they were in the early
years of The Salvation Army’s explosive growth.
Has The SA become nearly too stale now? Where is the drive? Where is the
fighting?! ...Did we lose the fight by letting people push us off the streets
and into our buildings/Corps? Or did we get tired and simply retreated ?
I guess out of sight, out of the mind huh. I guess it makes life a little brighter knowing that if they don't have a grand Salvation Army marching down one’s street, that “our town/area be clear of evil. I wonder if they could possibly be more wrong?
I fear it’s a case of, if you bring in a bunch homeless people, those that are smelling of
drink/smoke, that a lot of soldiers, folk that tend the corps would turn
their noses at them and no doubt complain after they have left about the smell
and mess. Are Corps losing the image that they are for all types of people, that
you don't need to be in a suit or uniform, be clean shaven AND SAVED?
It will be a very very sad day when Salvationists start to loose pride in
standing up to fight for what they believe in. I'm not a Salvationist nor do I
believe in god ( yet.. As I know that Sven will probably more so change this in
time)... But I'm proud of the Salvationist out there and what they fight for.
Stand up and be counted as a soldier of God :)
If we come across a town/ centre / Mall that wouldn't let us come in and spread
the word of God / play band music / songsters at, then shouldn't we fight for
the right to do so? Sadly we are going to offend some people but that can't be
helped... ( the whole skeleton army proved that but William Booth and his army
didn't give up eh) People out there can't be saved if we don't fight to win their souls.
I fear that HQ is a bit overly concerned about PT. But should they not be more involved with dealing with places that don't want us to be there at, to be more helpful, and support us in the fight.
Last question would be : Are we becoming too 'Soft' to be called an Army?...
I'm probably too young and naive to understand but from standing outside of the
box and looking in , these questions and thoughts come to mind. No better place
to seek answers than from the officers of the past (who have fought and lived as
salvationists) and maybe the future officers, those God is calling to battle for him.
Jay Robb
23yr old
Hamilton Corps’ videographer and corps supporter
Scotland
The problem as I see it, in my corps, is that we've got ineffective local officers. No one has the courage to step out and say 'it's time for a change!' It's just more of the the same old thing. A handful of old-timers trying to run things behind the officers' backs. We're losing soldiers at a pace of 4 to i, and those that are leaving are the children of our old soldiers. Does this not send a signal? How much time does our corps have left before we're added to the closure list? Officers can't do it alone.
ReplyDeleteThinking of taking the fight to a corps that still has a vision and able bodies.
London area.
I think on the whole people are people and wherever we go we face the same issues and problems just with different faces. They might be more severe in some places than others.
ReplyDeleteHaving read this article and the comments I am left thinking does it all boil down to the words of Brindley Boon when he wrote:
'Have I lost the sense of mission
That inspired my early zeal,
When the fire of Thy commission
Did my dedication seal?
Let me hear Thy tender pleading,
Let me see Thy beckoning hand.
Let me feel Thee gently leading
As I bow to Thy command.
Lord, release that latent passion
Which in me has dormant lain;
Recreate a deep compassion
That will care and care again.
Needy souls are still my mission,
Sinners yet demand my love;
This must be my life's ambition,
This alone my heart shall move.'
Yes I still want to 'win the world for Jesus' but the way I go about it is very different to the way someone else will. Does that make one right and the other wrong? I don't think so! But it does give us an opportunity to celebrate our differences and make them strengths for the sake of the Kingdom.
We need you, let's work together for His sake and His glory.
Jay, sending for your papers for an assessment conference :-)
Major Glad
One problem is that we may be becoming too polarized between a too clinical stance and an anti-clinical stance. We either just look at the technicalities of maintaining corps/centres (legal/financial), or we fail to take account of these very technicalities. This polarization may then be stopping us from looking at other SA expressions either in terms of helping them or taking advantage of their experience/example.
ReplyDeleteCorps/centres can not be run heavily subsidised for ever, nor should they be shut if they are not totally self-supporting.
(Ex-officer of closed corps in each of the Glasgow/Hamilton/Paisley, Edinburgh, North Scotland areas)
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the sentiments expressed in the sidebar from TSA, Latvia!
ReplyDeleteGlad Ljungholm
Major
One of the problems is that new people often felt left out of the Corps as they were not in the band or Songsters. Major Glad is addressing this and starting more activities to bring other Corps members together, such as the book club.
ReplyDeleteThe comments by 'Soldier elsewhere with ties to the corps' are disparaging to the Corps, and in particular, to the CSM. The CSM is doing a good job and is a good representive of the Corps.
The CO has a vision and with the help of the Corps people, will achieve it.