The evening celebration encouraged us to look at what is happening now and was enthusiastically led by indigenous Officers and youth of the territory. I found the youth of this territory to be an absolute inspiration and made me feel the Army is in very safe hands as I saw something of their passion, drive and enthusiasm.
Sunday morning brought the Commissioning and Ordination of seven cadets. A very solemn congregation gathered as the Oslo Temple Band ensemble prepared our hearts and minds for worship with their playing. Sensitively we were asked to remain seated as the colours were processed into the hall, followed by the Cadets. Sven however, with a burning in his bones, could not remain seated for the colours and so I witnessed my disabled husband, refusing help, struggle to stand as I realized he could not remain seated for the flag and all it represents. His ancestors and others were prepared to die for our colours, and some did. In hindsight, I wish I had stood too, but I guess many of us stood in our hearts and in gratitude to God for the beautiful sight of these soon to be Lieutenants.
As you would imagine testimonies were shared, Scripture, the recitation of our doctrines and the individual signing and ordination of each Lieutenant. We then celebrated and rejoiced in God’s goodness and faithfulness in preparing the hearts and minds of men and women for future ministry. Miracle, upon miracle, upon miracle … how much can you take in, in one weekend??? My heart and I know the hearts of those around me where absolutely overwhelmed as we wondered ‘How much more’ … and there was much, much more.
One of the new Lieutenants was the daughter of present day indigenous Officers … Two new Corps gained Corps status … 34 new Soldiers were enrolled … and 11 new Cadets were recognized as being ready to enter the new session of Cadets … 12 young people had completed a 2 year Battle School course and are now ready to consider further their future with God.
Throughout the whole of the weekend, in every meeting, the mercy seat was lined over and over again by precious, precious young people, as the rushing of the Spirit was so evident in our midst. A call to Officership was made and numerous beautiful, intelligent, professional young people publicly responded and still others stood to their feet signaling their willingness to take on leadership positions within their Corps.
I was soooooo impressed with the quality of the indigenous Officers … with the commitment, passion and drive I witnessed in many young people as they prayed in wide open public spaces outside of the meetings … in the park … in the foyer … in the hotel and were quizzically observed by other non-Army hotel guests. I saw an Army that is healthy, alive and dynamic. I saw an Army with hope for a new generation. I saw an Army blessed by God. I saw ‘my’ Army and thanked God for it.
There have been a few occasions throughout my life when I have been absolutely, uncontrollably in awe of the presence and blessing of God. I think the first time was as a fifteen year old at the International Congress in London in 1978. The last time was this weekend at the Eastern European Congress and celebration of 20 years since the re-opening of Russia and ‘opening fire’ in Ukraine, Moldova, Georgia and Romania. God has blessed us, blessed us indeed and in faith we continue to believe: ‘God is able to do immeasurably more than all we can ever ask or imagine in our wildest dreams’
Can I urge you to pray for our brothers and sisters in Eastern Europe, ‘our Army’? I recognize the reality and continued hardship in these countries is far from easy for those who faithfully serve there, particularly in Georgia and Romania and the young Officers who give so totally of themselves. ‘Bless our Army, with Thy fire baptize us all.’
Glad Ljungholm
Major
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please feel free to share a comment, anonymously, if you wish...